It’s taken quite a long time for me to get around to this, but I’ve finally managed to get the right combination of images and a little free time to post a quick update on how all of what I was working on last semester turned out.
There’s a pretty solid chance I’ll miss something (the semester did end 3 months ago after all), and since it’s a lot of different things each one will just get a brief description.
For my own sanity, things will be in a mostly chronological order of when I finished working on them even though I’m not sure that way will make sense to anyone other than me.
I finished the first flat tile stack that I had decided to try when Bryan pointed out that I should try translating exactly what I was doing in paper to clay. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, but something strange happened with the orange piece. I’m not really sure how it happened but it’s just a little bit smaller than the rest so I’m going to remake that piece eventually (and by eventually I mean it’s on the list of things to do before I graduate).
This one I made each piece a separate tile that just sit on top of each other, so they can be moved and some layers can be removed.
I also designed it with a specific number of layers that expand into a grid so it can be viewed that way as well, similar to how I designed my first stacking paper piece in Crafting in Virtual Space.
The octagon tiles are a much simpler image but I was thinking about the same things in both pieces – the way layers build up to create a pattern, and the way that those layers can be seen individually. The grid format of viewing the individual layers also connects back to my interest in quilting. Rather than blocks being repeated to create the image of the quilt I think of these pieces as forming ‘quilts’ when the layers expand into a grid.
While I was working on that, I had also begun to work on some cups using the process of painting and cutting colored slips into a plaster mold similar to how Peter Pincus works. I decided on a pattern I wanted to use, and broke it up into 4 stages to be applied to a set of cups. I made paper stencils that I could trace to cut the slip to the right shapes and set to work.
The cups themselves could use some work, as far as finishing the lip and sanding out some seams a little better next time around, but the inlay process went pretty well. I also had some weird things happen in the glazing too, but again the inlay was successful so I’m pretty happy with them overall.
I have become very attached to this particular pattern and started using it on a lot of things, including some ceramic business cards I started making using the same inlay process.
To print the information on my business cards I had a thermofax screen made, which I also used for my final pieces for Anat’s surface class. I had crochet patterns burned into the screen, and laser cut corresponding shapes to use as paper resist stencils. The final plates used combinations of the paper resist and screen printing.
This was one of my most successful plates from the series.
The last thing I finished at the very end of the semester was what I was probably the most excited about, and led me to where I started this semester. After the success of my octagon tiles I decided to try a more complex pattern closer to what I had been working with in paper. Rather than leave each piece as a separate tile though I connected them all together to create a solid stack.
Well that’s it in hyper-speed!